Sunday 10 August 2008

MICHEL GONDRY: The Science of Sleep

It took some time for me to finally get around to watching Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep and it has taken somewhat longer for me to gather my thoughts to piece this post together. It has been difficult because though I enjoyed the majority of the film, there were times when Stéphane(Gael García Bernal) was so close to my own experience that it felt uncomfortable like hearing your own voice.

It was like the film hit the secret tone, the resonation that exactly matches the rhythm of my own thoughts and in turn shattered pieces of my own armour. It's a disconcerting experience like one of those eerie scenes that sometimes appear in films where the character turns toward and sees the audience. Indeed, that very thing does occur in this film and over its course, I had so many memories and thoughts swirling around my head compounded by those additional ingredients thrown at me from the screen that I felt fused with the storyline by its end.


In regard to recommending this film;that's difficult. It was so personal, I wonder how many out there will understand the language and mechanisations that Gondry uses in this film. Indeed, the accusation that it has "no plot" has been hurled toward it but it has (I found) a definite and surprisingly defined plot.

If I were to boil it down, I'd say it's a realistic love story about a naive, romantic, philosphical creator and dreamer. If that appeals, chances are you'll enjoy this quirky offering. If this post made any sense to you, you'll probably enjoy it. If not then still give it a go and let me know what you think.





Links:
The Science of Sleep
The Science of Sleep Wiki

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...